Tips for viewing rental property
When you’re looking for a new home to rent, making the most of the viewing is crucial.
Use our top tips to help.
1.Get there quick.
The competition for good rental properties is high, and the best properties will be snapped up quickly. To be sure you don’t miss good properties, try to get there quick and be the first to view. Sign up to email alerts to be ahead of the crowd.
2. Ask the right questions & be prepared.
What’s important to you? What questions do you need to ask? Make a list, because it can be easy to forget these things once you’re making a viewing.
Then, make sure you ask the right questions:
• How much is the rent per calendar month?
• What is included in the rent?
• What additional bills are there? What is the likely cost? If it’s a house-share, how are the bills split and who pays them?
• How much deposit is needed? Where will my deposit be protected?
• What fees do I need to pay to set up the tenancy?
• Are there fees further down the line if I choose to renew the tenancy?
• How long is the contract?
• What notice period is needed when I want to leave the property?
• Who should I contact in the case of an emergency?
• What insurance does the landlord have to cover the property? What insurance do I need to cover myself?
3.Take a friend.
Never go to a viewing alone. Take a partner, a friend, or attend the viewing with a letting agent. It’s safer, and you’ll have someone to ask for a second opinion.
4. Check the bills.
You can request to see utility and council tax bills so you know what to expect. Is anything included in the rent?
Is the property furnished, or will you need to bring your own bed? You need to know as this could be a significant additional cost that you may not have budgeted for.
6. It’s all in the details.
A modern kitchen and a huge garden can be scene stealers. But don’t forget to look at the details too. Check all doors are secure. Check the water is running properly in the kitchen and bathroom. Look for smoke alarms in every room.