References and ID Required

What ID do I need to show before I can move in?

We require proof of residency and proof of identity:

• For residency proof we accept a recent (within the last 3 months) utility/ council tax/ mobile phone bill or a current tenancy agreement.
• For identity we require a photo style driving licence or passport.
• If you are not a UK citizen of the European Economic Union then you will need to provide evidence of official permission to live in the UK for the term of the proposed tenancy.

In some circumstances additional ID will be requested by the credit referencing agency.

If Guarantor is required by the landlords then the same documents as above should be provided.

What references will you ask for?

In all cases we will ask for your address history so that we can carry out a search via a Credit Reference Agency.
We will also approach your current Landlord or Agent (if you are renting) as well as obtaining a reference from your Employer (if you are working). If you are self-employed we will ask for your Accountants details and/or recent accounts.

What happens once my credit checks/references have cleared?

When the references are all back and satisfactory we will agree a move in date then prepare the property and documents for you.
We will communicate with you via email, send draft documents for you to read in time before signing.

Finally, the deposit and first month’s rent will need to be paid in cleared funds before the tenancy start date. Read More

What if you have a bad credit history or low income?

It may still be possible for you to rent a property if you have bad credit history or low income but this depends on your situation.

You will most likely require a guarantor though, who will need to demonstrate they can afford the rent should you fail to pay.

You can look at the option of paying a lump sum of rental in advance, or proceeding with a guarantor.

Ultimately, the Landlords can override the referencing if it’s appropriate.

What if I am self-employed?

No problem. If you are self-employed you usually need to provide two year’s accounts but if this is not possible then other references, and possibly a guarantor, could secure your tenancy. We will liaise with the landlord on individual cases.

When might I need a Guarantor?

If we feel your income is lower than that required for the rent in question or if you are returning to study for example, we could ask for a guarantor to support your tenancy.

If you intend to make a new housing benefit claim then you may also be asked to provide a guarantor.

Guarantors need to be earning sufficiently to cover both their own financial commitments as well as your rent and we will reference them in the same way as the actual Tenant.

The guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant is for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy.

Who can be a Guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who is prepared to accept liability for the property and pay the rent should you default. A guarantor must:

1. Be over the age of 25
2. A UK Citizen and has lived in the UK for 3 years.
3. Has sufficient earnings ( as a guide an annual income of over 3 ½ times the annual rent) or own their own property.
4. Other restrictions may apply & all guarantors will be fully referenced to be accepted.

Your guarantor will be required to sign a separate guarantor agreement once you are accepted as tenant and after passing our pre tenancy checks. Please also note we will require consent from the Guarantor to carry out a credit search.

What if I am Non UK citizen?

If you have not lived in the UK for more than 3 years you will be required to provide a guarantor. If you are from outside the European Union you will need to provide your Visa as evidence that you are legally permitted to reside in the UK.

What happens to the personal information I supply to you?

Any personal information you supply to us will be treated confidentially and held in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998. On signing the Application Form you authorise us to share this information with the landlord in order that we can gain approval for the tenancy.