Tenancy Responsibilities

What are my responsibilities during the tenancy?

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract between a landlord and tenant that sets out both the legal and contractual responsibilities and obligations of the two parties.
Paying rent on time is your primary responsibility. In addition you must

• Report any changes to your contact information
• Report any anti-social behaviour
• Reside at the property
• Pay all council tax and utility bills (if applicable)

Learn more – a list of items that will fall under tenant responsibilities.

Joint and Several - What Does That Mean?

Mostly, where there is to be more than one (adult) person living in the property, the tenancy will say they are “jointly and severally” responsible.

This expression means that, jointly, the tenants are liable for the payment of all rents and all liabilities falling upon the tenants during the tenancy, as well as any breach of the Agreement.

Individually each tenant is responsible for payment of all rent and all liabilities falling upon the tenant, as well as any breach of the Agreement until all payments have been made in full.

Can I rent a room to a friend?

If you need permission from your landlord before subletting your home or you aren’t allowed to sublet but do so anyway, then your landlord is likely to take legal action against you when they find out.

It is important to know that the names of all of the occupiers, must be declared on the Assured Short hold Agreement (AST).

If you sublet to a friend and receives rent from this person and this is not detailed on the agreement, you will be in breach of contract and breaking the terms of the agreement and you are likely to lose your tenancy.

What if we notice something wrong with the property after
moving in?

We provide an inspection report to you, on this form please note any discrepancies within two days of move in. Contact us to schedule any necessary repairs to the property

Can I decorate or make changes to the property?

In most cases , a tenant can only decorate or make changes to the property with the express permission of the landlord. We recommend receiving this permission in writing.
Please obtain prior written approval from us before making any changes to the property.

Can I hang pictures on the walls?

Hanging pictures: If you use hooks then remember you will need to make good and re-paint when you leave. An alternative is to use a product by 3M called Command picture strips, which claim to remove when needed with no damage.

See video here.

I want a pet but my agreement doesn't allow it.
Do I need to contact you?

Some properties will be restricted from keeping pets e.g. flats and apartments.

You will need to contact our office before obtaining a pet. We will need to verify that the landlords will allow you to have a pet. Once we verify that it is acceptable, you will need to sign a pet addendum and an additional pet fee may be required.

Breed or species restrictions may be applied depending on the owner’s preference. It is best to Contact our office for detailed information on the pet policy for the home you are interested in.

I want to install a satellite dish, what should I do?

Generally this would be agreed to unless there is good reason to object e.g. a covenant in the Deeds of the Property which prevents aerials and satellite dishes being erected on the property.

Please Contact us for information regarding your property. Some of the properties are no suitable for installation of a satellite dish and we recommend that you do not install a dish without written permission.

What About Rights of Access to The Property, What are the Rules?

A landlord, or his agent, or someone authorised to act on his behalf has a right to view the property to assess its condition and to carry out necessary repairs or maintenance at reasonable times of the day.

The law says that a landlord or agent must give a tenant at least 24 hours prior notice in writing (except in an emergency) of such a visit.

Naturally, if the tenant agrees, on specific or odd occasions to allow access without the 24 hours prior written notice, that is acceptable.

How often do you inspect properties?

If we are managing the property, we aim to carry out a visible inspection of the property every 3 to 6 months and send a written report to the landlord.

You will be advised in writing of any inspection at least 7 days before. It is essential that you provide access for carrying out the inspection and normally these are held during a week day.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I
move in?

You as the tenant are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies directly when you move into your property and also when you leave, taking care to provide meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy.

My tenancy is ending soon. What are the next steps?

After the initial period, the tenancy can be extended on a rolling month on month basis usually referred to as ‘Periodic’ until either you or the landlord give notice to end the tenancy.

Or it can be extended for a further fixed period subject to the tenancy terms being adhered to.

If you want to renew the tenancy contact us.

How is a Tenancy Terminated?

The law around ending a tenancy is relatively straightforward as long as the right timescales and procedures are followed, along with the use of the correct format of notice.

If you want to leave your property then you must give us notice to end your tenancy.

Your tenancy agreement will say how much written notice you need to give. It will be either four weeks’ ending on a Monday or one calendar month. Learn More

What Happens if Either Party (Landlord Or Tenant) Unexpectedly Want to End an Existing Tenancy Early?

There are only limited ways in which this can happen; the landlord cannot make the tenants move out, nor can the tenants lawfully walk away from their obligations to fulfil the contract.

Either party might request of the other that a formal “surrender” of the tenancy be allowed. It would then be up to the parties to agree the terms and conditions of such a surrender.

This might include some financial compensation for inconvenience or costs incurred.

What do I need to do when I move out of the property?

For properties managed by Stevens and Carter we will contact you to arrange a mutually convenient time for us to come and check the apartment for any dilapidations.

We recommend that you try to be present if possible to agree any damages, etc. which may have arisen.

For properties managed by your landlord, you must liaise with your landlord to arrange a time for the check out.